Friday, March 18, 2011

The mind on fire


My mind always comes up with an emergency to pull me out of the present moment. The mind will tell me what to do, when and how to do it. The mind's tricks aren't easily discovered. "You can't sit there and do nothing, you have to get going."  When I am rushing I am on my own, the universe will not support me.  I have to stop and align myself with the universe.  

The other day I was in a hurry to get to my job and I locked myself out. It made me remember that I will always get to where I need to be when I am supposed to be there.

No illusions in my mind and no resistances in my body.  I have to let go of everything including my job and see if I will end up there.  I will get there when I get there.  And no premeditating of what I am going to say.  No more carrying of anything.  I cannot leave the present moment and think that something in the future is more important than what is happening now.  I cannot prepare for the future because it doesn't exist.

Tao Te Ching

38. The Master does nothing,
yet he leaves nothing undone.
The ordinary man is always doing things,
yet many more are left to be done.

48. In pursuit of knowledge,
every day something is added.
In the practice of the Tao,
every day something is dropped.

Less and less do you need to force things,
until finally you arrive at non-action.
When nothing is done,
nothing is left undone.
True mastery can be gained
by letting things go their own way.
It can't be gained by interfering.


74. If you realize that all things change,
there is nothing you will try to hold on to.
If you aren't afraid of dying,
there is nothing you can't achieve.
Trying to control the future
is like trying to take the master carpenter's place.

When you handle the master carpenter's tools,
chances are that you'll cut your hand.


  The  Tao Te Ching written by Lao Tzu, from a translation by S. Mitchell



No comments:

Post a Comment